A coin 2.54 cm in diameter held 254 cm from the eye just covers the full moon. What is the diameter of the image of the moon formed by a concave mirror of radius of curvature 1.27 m?

Given, 
The radius of curvature of the mirror $(R) = 1.27\;m = 127\;cm$
∵ $f = \frac{R}{2} = \frac{127}{2} = 63.5 \;cm$

When an object falls from infinity, its image will be formed on the focal plane as shown in the figure below.
 
From $\Delta ABP,$ we have
$\tan \theta = \frac{2.54}{254}$ .......... (i)

From $\Delta CDP,$ we have
$\tan \theta = \frac{CD}{CP} = \frac{I}{f} = \frac{I}{63.5}$ .......... (ii)

From equation (i) and (ii), we get
$\frac{2.54}{254} = \frac{I}{63.5}$

$\Rightarrow \;\; I = \frac{2.54}{254} * 63.5 = 0.635\; cm$

$\therefore$ Diameter of the image is $I = 0.635\;cm$

Return to Main Menu

4 comments:

  1. Why I cant just use mirror formula to determine 'Image distance(v)'. Then, use magnification formula to find 'Size of Image(I)'. I got the answer 0.847 which looks wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is awesome
    thank u so much for the solution

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, thats a great blog. Really so much impressive and i love that type of post. thank you.

    If you ssearching for a legit financial service .Check it out. Link below.
    Unclaimed Mystery Box
    deep web money transfer
    legit paypal transfer dark web
    darknet paypal transferpa
    dark web financial services .

    Please carry on and keep blogging . Thanks again

    ReplyDelete